My Videos

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Video: how to make a pallet compost bin

I love facebook!  This morning there was a post by Urban Farmer Magazine (UFM) that included a link to a video on how to make a pallet compost bin and a great list of what to compost!

I've been thinking about making one myself!

Thought that I'd share this video with you gardening friends!  Here's the link: http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urban-farm-videos/urban-farming-activities/build-compost-bin.aspx

And here's UFM's list of "what" to Compost!
http://media.animalnetwork.com/channelmedia/urbanfarmonline/compost-materials.pdf

I have also added these links to my Helpful Links sidebar for future reference!

4 comments:

  1. I find it weird that they have a pallet on the bottom of their bin. If it is in contact with the soil it is naturally inoculated with all the good fungi and bacteria a pile needs and when it cools down the worms can get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point Daphne! Wonder why they did that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I saw a pallet compost bin in the new Better Homes and Garden and I was just telling my husband that we should make one. Now I can show him the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bottom pallet allows for better air circulation in the pile. The more air the greater the oxidation/decomposition of the organic matter. Remember no oxygen = no decomposition = smelly mess.

    ReplyDelete

I *LOVE* your comments! Thanks for stopping by!