My Videos

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fall stuff...

Cleaned out one of my 4x8 tomato beds.  Picked all the tomatoes... will put them on he counter to ripen.

I'm slowly cleaning out the garden.... sigh...

Today I finished canning my Granny Smith apples.  I had bought 2-40# boxes!  So 80#s of apples (approx. 200 apples) gave me 41 quarts.  I saved about 8 apples for eating.

Our weather has been absolutely beautiful the past 2 weeks with lows in the 40s and highs in the 80s.  Wish that I could can some of this weather for the winter!

3 comments:

  1. 41 quarts of apples! Wow. How did you can them? Did you make apple sauce? Or did you put them in a syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know MeemsNYC... isn't it great!!!

    We peeled them using one of those apple peeler/corer gadgets. Then I cooked them in a light syrup with cinnamon. I filled the quart jars with apples then topped them off with the cooking water.

    I'll use these canned apples to make apple pies and apple crisp. When I want apple sauce, I whiz it up in the blender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, Toni! I'm so glad the weather is holding for you guys. Seems like we bypassed the 80's and went straight to the 70's. Hopefully we'll get an 80's remix soon.

    ReplyDelete

I *LOVE* your comments! Thanks for stopping by!